I was talking to a close friend yesterday who I haven't spoken to in awhile, and we briefly touched on the subject of stay-at-home-mommyhood. She asked me if I ever felt like I needed an outlet, and at first I wasn't quite sure what she meant. Like, an electrical outlet? The thing Drake likes to stick his tiny fingers into? Then I got it...an outlet, like something you do just for you. At least I think that's what she meant. I thought about it more after we hung up the phone and now I'm realizing that yes, I do need an outlet. And that maybe if I had one, I'd posess more of the qualities on a daily basis that I long for: patience, energy and serenity. Now comes the important question: what shall my outlet be? I think I know the answer, at least for now...exercise. I was so good during the month of January about making time for exercise and it really made me feel good. Physically and mentally. I started slacking off in February because Drake was going through the separation anxiety phase and dropping him off in the nursery, checking on him every few minutes and picking him up again after a short 30 minute workout was causing me more stress than it was worth. It was completely counterproductive. Plus we've both been battling sickness off and on, and I can't put him in the nursery when he's sick. I wouldn't do that anyway! On the days when it's warm out, we do tend to go for walks or runs, and that's what I enjoy the most. The combination of physical exertion and fresh air does a body (and soul) good. Plus, I find that when we get back home, I have much more energy to chase after him and I'm not nearly as quick to lose my patience when he starts trying me. Which he sometimes does.
Anyhow, I'm going to make a concerted effort beginning next week to fit exercise into our daily routine, somehow, and see how it plays out.
The problem with outlets is you have to get a little creative with them because a lot of them require money. Shopping is a fantastic outfit, but not if you are on a budget, like I am. Writing is an outlet, so maybe I'll try updating this blog thing more regularly like I had intended to in the first place. Facebook is a dangerous outlet because I find myself spending entirely too much time in front of the computer. I'm sure there are any number of outlets out there, I just haven't put a lot of thought into what they might be. We'll try on exercise first and see how that fits. And if any of you reading this has an outlet that you've found effective and fulfilling, please do share.
Adios!
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment