I'm not really Type A. I mean, I sort of am, to a point I guess, but I'm not nearly as neurotic as I used to be. In fact I've mellowed out quite a bit. I don't even own a Blackberry (anymore) or a day planner. For you kids, that's something we used to have back in the day where you took a pen or pencil and actually wrote down what your plans were for the day, week or month. Seriously! I no longer feel compelled to have every minute of every day planned out for me; in fact, I feel stressed out and tense and miserable if I do. I'd much rather just go with the flow.
That being said, on the eve of my first day of stay-at-home-mommyhood (or SAHM-hood), I am reflecting with a bit of a chuckle over the lists and schedules and spreadsheets and notes I've penned (yes, penned) on the calendar hanging beside my desk. This past week I have created a grocery list template, complete with categories that correspond to the layout of the store; a meal planner where I fill in our dinners for the next two weeks; a to-do list of miscellaneous tasks that need to be completed soon but not on any strict deadlines (really just a list of stuff for Drake and I to do in the afternoons should we need some ideas), and I have highlighted all the classes at the Y that I might possibly consider participating in during the course of a week. I promise I'm not Type A.
It's just that, after so long of having a schedule, I can't all of a sudden NOT have a schedule. It just doesn't feel right. But I know very well that my schedule or plans or whatever will likely be thrown off by a certain 9 month old. (Side note: he turned 9 months old TODAY! In fact I realized this when giving him his breakfast bottle this morning and glancing at the clock at the precise time when he was born 9 months ago, 8:19am. Pretty cool.) It's perfectly fine if he wants to mess with my plans, I just need to have some. At least for awhile. It's good for my sanity.
The weird thing is, tomorrow doesn't feel scary or foreboding or even out of the ordinary, rather it just feels like I'm extending my holiday vacation. Sure, everyone else may be going back to work but I'm not...wow. I'm not. And right now I'm okay with that!
So on this eve of SAHM-hood, I feel good. Content. Happy, even. I'll catch you on the flipside tomorrow night & let you know how many things I checked off my schedule, or if I actually made the dinner I've got planned, or what class I took at the Y. 'Til then, happy Monday, world.
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment